Start a new topic

Option to start connection with application

When starting Royal TSX it would be helpful if there were an option to have a connection, or multiple connections, start automatically. On macOS every time I use Royal TSX I connect to the local terminal and two other machines, one ssh and one RDP. I have many other connections in Royal TSX that I open when needed, but to have these 3 start with the application would be a big time saver.

The best alternative I've found so far to use Hammerspoon with the following init.lua

function applicationWatcher(appName, eventType, appObject)
    if (eventType == hs.application.watcher.launched) then
        if (appName == "Royal TSX") then
            local applescriptCode = [[
                tell application "Royal TSX"
                    -- Replace 'Terminal' with the name of the connection you want to open
                    set targetName to "Terminal"

-- Get the ID of the connection whose name matches the target name
                    set conIds to id of every connection whose name is equal to targetName

-- If there's a matching ID, connect
                    if (count of conIds) > 0 then
                        set conId to item 1 of conIds
                        connect conId
                    else
                        display dialog "No connection found with the name: " & targetName
                    end if
                end tell
            ]]
            local ok, result = hs.osascript.applescript(applescriptCode)
            if not ok then
                hs.notify.show("AppleScript Error", "Failed to run the script", result)
            end
        end
    end
end

appWatcher = hs.application.watcher.new(applicationWatcher)
appWatcher:start()

Thanks Felix,

I was able to create an AppleScript and then a shortcut in the Shortcuts.app below:

on run {input, parameters}
	tell application "Royal TSX"
		-- Replace 'Terminal' with the name of the connection you want to open
		set targetName to "Terminal"

-- Get the ID of the connection whose name matches the target name
		set conIds to id of every connection whose name is equal to targetName

-- If there's a matching ID, connect
		if (count of conIds) > 0 then
			set conId to item 1 of conIds
			connect conId
		else
			display dialog "No connection found with the name: " & targetName
		end if
	end tell

return input
end run

Using a shortcut or a script, even when saved as a .app, isn't the most efficient solution to this problem. A more intuitive approach would be to incorporate a checkbox within a connection's properties or an option to select apps for startup under Settings > General > Start and Quit. This would let Royal TSX stay docked and launch normally, eliminating the need to run separate apps, scripts, or shortcuts.

Hi Mark,

you could write a short AppleScript that launches Royal TSX and starts the connections you want.

This should be easily doable in a couple of lines.

Here's a link to get you started using the AppleScript scripting interface: https://www.royalapps.com/go/kb-ts-mac-applescript-samples

Hope that helps!

cheers,

Felix

Login or Signup to post a comment