Start a new topic
Implemented

Type delay in credential lookup

I have loaded my 1Password vault, and it has A LOT of passwords. When I am looking up a credential, every letter I type causes a considerable delay required to search through passwords. When I make my lookup features, I usually add 200-500ms delay after keyboard event before doing the search, because normally you are looking for some word, not just one letter, and it's a waste of resources to search while typing it. I hope you know what I mean, but it would be a nice feature, I'm sure password databases can be large with many professional users.

Hi Michael, there are various places in Royal TSX where one can search for objects. Where is the delay that you’re referring to happening? Also, what’s the approximate amount of objects you have? Thx, Felix

When creating a new Web Page, in Credentials section, I chose Use an existing credential, then was searching in the credential selection dropdown menu.

In 1Password I have 1485 items. That doesn't seem like "A LOT" in 2019, actually :)

Hi Michael,

I see. In that case the performance penalty doesn't come from the actual search but updating the menu containing the credential objects.

The problem here is that menus in Cocoa (Apple's UI framework) are not meant to be updated while they're open. So what we're doing to allow searching credentials in that particular case is more of a hack which is not officially supported.

Unfortunately the only way around this limitation would be to use a custom UI element which is not trivial.

regards,

felix

Hi Michael,

we just implemented a short delay before searching which should improve performance somewhat.

I'm closing this feature request for now. Please create a new one once the new version is available and the performance increase is not enough for you.

thx,

felix

Hi,

a new beta which includes this feature has just been released.

Please give it a try and let me know if it works as expected!

thx,

felix

Hi Felix,

I'm afraid it doesn't work well. Just as I begin to type, the first letter shows up and things get stuck with the rainbow cursor rolling, which indicates filtering in progress. Then (as I kept typing while it was stuck) about 4-5 letters I typed in show up, and I can type for a bit without refresh - so then delay works. But first letter is the most important, because it both filters and produces most items. I hope it's not system (Cocoa) limitation and can still be improved.

Thank you,

Michael.

Hmm, weird. I cannot reproduce this. For me the delay works regardless of the number of characters.

Could you please share a short video that shows exactly what happens in your case? Approx. how long do you wait between typing the first and the next character?

thx,

felix

Hi Felix,

I'm a quick typist, I do not wait at all. How long is the delay? Is it on the press or release key event? Does it reset after each click? I mean, is it "500ms" since the last click, or since the first click? Still, these questions are irrelevant in the case then there's just one letter. I made a video (20mb), which also shows a drawing artefact with the UI (most likely Cocoa thing), but it displays sensitive information and I wouldn't like to share it in public. Can I upload it in private somehow, maybe I should open a support ticket?

Thank you,

Michael

I tested it with another word and it worked fine. Try with big letter M. For some reason, it gives me a problem, but when keyword starts with small letter p it's fine.

The delay currently is 250ms, which approximately matches the default NSSearchField behavior in macOS.

I cannot reproduce the issue you're describing no matter which letter I start typing with.

Can you please compress the video a little and send it in a new ticket?

thx,

felix

Done, #41108

Login or Signup to post a comment