Start a new topic

RDP Error messages are overly vague/generic

(Royal TSX 3.2.1, Remote Desktop FreeRDP 3.2.4)

When an attempt to RDP to a host fails, regardless of the underlying cause, the overly vague error message is popped up: "The connection failed. (Error Code: CONNECTERROR)". Greater detail on the cause can be found by events in the log viewer, however this is tedious. I would prefer to have slightly more detailed error messages, so that I may more quickly respond to issues of hostname resolution or host reachability. 

I've enumerated a handful of scenarios that result in the vague error message that I had mentioned. I've also included additional notes on what I might find in the log viewer, as well as a description of the desired behavior/error message. 

Thanks,

Mike

----

Hostname Resolution Failure 

Example: foo.bar.com cannot be resolved to an IP address

Current behavior:

•  Popup error "The connection failed. (Error Code: CONNECTERROR)"
  • Log Viewer message "getaddrinfo: nodename nor servername provided, or not known"
Desired behavior:

• Popup error indicating that the hostname "the hostname" could not be resolved to an IP address.

Connection Refused (TCP service is not listening on the remote host)

Ex: Attempting to RDP to a windows computer on TCP 12345

Current Behavior:

• Popup error "The connection failed. (Error Code: CONNECTERROR)"
  • Log Viewer message "BIO_should_retry returned a system error 32: Broken pipe"

Desired behavior:

• Popup error indicating that the host "the hostname" refused the connection.

Connection Timeout
Ex: Attempt to RDP to 1.2.3.4 on TCP 3389

Current Behavior:

• Log Viewer message "failed to connect to 1.2.3.4"

Desired behavior:

• Popup error indicating that the attempt to connect to "the hostname" timed out.

User does not have the right to sign in via Remote Desktop Services
(example: user does is not a member of the Remote Desktop Users group)

Current Behavior:

• Log Viewer message "BIO_read returned a system error 54: Connection reset by peer"
  • Honestly, I believe that this issue lies more with FreeRDP than with Royal TSX
Desired behavior:
  • Popup error indicating that the user lacks the necessary permissions to RDP into the remote host.

3 people like this idea
Login or Signup to post a comment