Start a new topic
Answered

Refer to other object username/save custom property from another object

Hi,

I am trying to setup a template for our Cyberark RDP connections. 

I have set the credential object associated with the template as the username used to logon to Cyberark, but I want to have the /u parameter of the program field to refer to another credential object's username. 

If this is not possible, I want to set one of the custom fields on the template as that then use that custom field for the program field.

Example

Credential object - User account A
Username: userA

Password: ****

Credential object - User account B
Username: userA

Password: ****

Template desired
Hostname: PSM Server
Description: Target address (to be filled)
Credential object: User account A
Program field: psm /u $User Account B.Username$  /a $Description$ /c PSM-RDP

OR

Hostname: PSM Server
Description: Target address (to be filled)
Credential object: User account A
Custom Field 1: 
$User Account B.Username$
Program field: psm /u $CustomField1$  /a $Description$ /c PSM-RDP

Hope this makes sense. Thanks

Best Answer

Hi,

I think your question has been answered in your support ticket already but for potential other readers, here's the answer:

it's currently not possible to refer to other properties from arbitrary objects in the document. This is something we may be able to implement in the future.

Regards,
Stefan

Hi Brian,

thanks for your feedback. As mentioned before, this is currently not possible. Making something like this to work in our current code base is a massive undertaking. We will keep this feature for your scenario on our todo list and as soon as we have made the architectural changes, we can implement something like that.

Regards,
Stefan

Hi,

I have not found a way to use a token for the /u parameter and make it work for a team. For individual use this is what I did.

Create the two documents as recommended by Royal, a personal one containing your credential and a common merge file for the servers etc.

Then I set the account to use for the /u parameter as Custom Field 1 at the connection folder.

Next I set all subfolders to inherit from parent on Custom Field 1(arrow at the right of the box in the GUI)

Next I created the template for the RDP connections. inside that template I used the Cyber Ark server for the address, a Generic Name that you would change on all objects created from the template. Set the credential to a specific name. Then I went to advanced and in the program field I entered the command line like this:

psm /u $CustomField1$@domain /a $Name$.domain.com /c PSM-RDP

Then I set the Custom Field 1 to inherit from parent.

When creating objects this will all inherit down and the $Name$ will match whatever you change the Name field to when creating connections. It works fine for a single person.

Ultimately I would like to see the ability to put that user account you are checking out into a variable in the personal section and reference it like you do in the credentials(With a specific name) or have a variable that can be referenced like this: $PersonalDoc.CustomField1$ or similar(where PersonalDoc is the name of the document you put your personal creds in.

No worries! Have a nice weekend!

Yes apologies was answered in the accidental ticket. Thanks!

Answer

Hi,

I think your question has been answered in your support ticket already but for potential other readers, here's the answer:

it's currently not possible to refer to other properties from arbitrary objects in the document. This is something we may be able to implement in the future.

Regards,
Stefan

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment