Start a new topic
Answered

What encryption is used in the rtsz files when enabled?

Can you elaborate on the encryption used for the Royal TS files?  Any information/transparency would be appreciated.

Best Answer

Hi Jon,

Royal TS is using AES 256 bit encryption for passwords and documents. If no password is provided, a static key is used to encrypt the passwords to avoid them being as plain text in the document. When you provide a document password, encryption is done using the provided password. This also means that if you forget your password, there's no way to retrieve your passwords in the documents.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Regards,

Stefan

Answer

Hi Jon,

Royal TS is using AES 256 bit encryption for passwords and documents. If no password is provided, a static key is used to encrypt the passwords to avoid them being as plain text in the document. When you provide a document password, encryption is done using the provided password. This also means that if you forget your password, there's no way to retrieve your passwords in the documents.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Regards,

Stefan

2 people like this

Thanks Stefan, that's what I was looking for!

Have there been any changes to the encryption method? This thread is about 7 years old.

I am thinking of storing my rtsz file on my server so I can access it from home and remote laptop.

With adequate password, would it be acceptable to store on dropbox?

Thank you.

1 person likes this

Hi,

I was reading the description regarding encryption but it is not 100% clear for me.

As I would like to store the .rtsz file not local but at the icloud or onedrive I am wondering if the whole file will be enypted if a password is provided OR if ONLY the password field within the .rtsz file will be encrypted?

I am coming from Devolutions RDM and RDM did a full entrysption of the data file contents.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Marc,

by default, Royal TS stores all data in plain text XML but all sensitive data (like passwords, protected custom fields, etc.) are always encrypted (even if you do not provide a custom password).

There is also an option to encrypt the complete file if you prefer to do so:

https://docs.royalapps.com/r2023/royalts/reference/organization/document.html#encrypt-complete-file

Regards,
Stefan

WoW, thank you very much, works like a charm, Regards, Marc

Login or Signup to post a comment