Start a new topic
Answered

Why is no remote file browser in SCP available?

Hi,

I am just asking myself if I am doing anything wrong...
Using the SCP plugin, I expected kind of a commander view:

left side = my computer

right side = remote computer

This would offer the possibility to browse through the folders also on the remote side.

Would this be possible?

regards,

Benedikt

Best Answer

That being said, there are almost no devices anymore that support only SCP but not SFTP. SFTP however supports listing directory structures just like FTP. So it's well worth a try to connect to your device with SFTP instead of SCP.

Hi Benedikt,

a directory/file listing in SCP mode is not that easy to implement as SCP does not provide structured data like in FTP or SFTP. With SCP, the client is actually executing an ls command to list files and directories and then parses the output. This is not as easy as it sounds because the output may be slightly different depending on the OS, version, etc. Applications like WinSCP invest a lot of time and resources to make this work flawlessly. Unfortunately we don't have the time and resources right now to make a similar effort. That's why SCP support is kind of limited right now.

Regards,
Stefan

1 person likes this
Answer

That being said, there are almost no devices anymore that support only SCP but not SFTP. SFTP however supports listing directory structures just like FTP. So it's well worth a try to connect to your device with SFTP instead of SCP.

1 person likes this

I primarily work with Cisco gear and it unfortunately only supports SCP!  Ugh.  SecureFX works well with Cisco SCP (finally!) but no love yet from RoyalTS.  I think I will still purchase RoyalTS as it has all the integration with web interfaces and RDP and VNC (all things missing from SecureCRT.) . 

Royal,

I'd be happy to setup a Cisco device at my home lab that you could connect to and get your Cisco/SCP implementation working!  I should have something that is suitable for that task.  Just let me know!

Hi Dan,

I can understand your frustration but the time and resources necessary to implement that is currently not available. On Windows we also support external applications and you could integrate an external SCP client into the tab. See also: https://support.royalapplications.com/support/discussions/topics/17000011904

Maybe this will ease the pain a bit...

Regards,
Stefan

Login or Signup to post a comment