Start a new topic

Very Slow/Laggy after some time

Hi All,

Looking to see if anyone else has experienced similar issues. This has happened to me for quite some time - over a year, but I've been too lazy to report it.

Basically, it seems that after an extended period of time (several days) the RoyalTS app window becomes almost unusable. Moving the RoyalTS main window around the monitor or between monitors is very slow. I will click to drag the main window around and it takes 5-7 seconds before the screen follows. Also, moving between connections/tab in the interface is extremely slow. After clicking a tab it takes 3 - 4 seconds before the screen changes and the tab will accept input. I predominantly use RDP to 7-10 servers as a time and those connections might remain open for days.

Closing/reopening RoyalTS will resolve the issue.

Riley

Hi!

I'm having a hard time to find that many connections to test. I can see that switching tabs (even if I only have 3 or 4 open) can be a bit laggy when the window is maximized on a 5k screen running Royal TS DPI aware - regardless if it's RDP or web or some other connection. When I reduce the Window size to a quarter of the screen, it's snappy. Can you see the same effect? I'm assuming this is because Royal TS is a WinForms (GDI) based app which doesn't take advantage of hardware acceleration.

Also, your first post mentioned that this only happens after several days. In your second post you mentioned 3 days of Royal TS running. Do you see this lag only after a couple of days or immediately when you have 14 tabs open (right after a fresh start)?

I've been monitoring this some more and it seems to be the tab bar where the issue lies. When the issue happens anything to do with that bar becomes very slow. For example, just moving the mouse across the tabs you can see the tab highlighting following far behind the cursor and it skips most of them. If I move my mouse up to the bar then it's a good 2-3 seconds before the tab will highlight and can be clicked.

When switching between RDP sessions I counted ~5 seconds from the time I click on a tab to when that session will accept input. This is with ~14 RDP tabs open. As I close them the performance gets progressively better until it becomes acceptable with 3-4 tabs open. This RoyalTS window has been open for 3 days with the number of tabs varying from 7-14.

With 14 tabs memory usage was ~3400MB and CPU usage stayed at 0%. Switching between tabs CPU usage would move to 14% or so for the 5 seconds until the tab would accept input. Just moving the cursor back and forth over the tabs will cause CPU to stay at 10-12%.

System Specs:

- AMD Threadripper 1900

- 32GB RAM

- NVidia GTX1600 3GB

- 500GB Samsung SSD

- Windows 10

1 person likes this

Hi Riley,

I have to admit that my instance doesn't run longer than a day or two but I haven't seen this myself. Can you provide some numbers from the task manager (memory usage / private bytes) when you started Royal TS and the same when it becomes laggy? Maybe there's a memory leak which causes the slowdown.

Thanks,
Stefan

Login or Signup to post a comment