Start a new topic

Using RDP RemoteApp within Royal TS

Hi, 

I've looked for a solution and tried quite a few things, but can't find an answer.  Is it possible to launch and embed RDP RemoteApps within Royal TS?  We have a few legacy applications that we serve to users using RemoteApp and would like to integrate those into Royal TS if possible.

I've managed to get it working by setting it up as an 'External Application' and referencing the RDP app (example attached), but don't know how to pass the correct user credentials. Also, I don't know if it's possible to embed that application window. 

If there's a better way to do this I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Regards, 

Wayne

Example.jpg
(102 KB)

Hi Wayne,

to be honest, I'm not really sure if you can embed a remote app after you started it as external app using that rdp file. Especially Remote Apps do custom stuff to the hosting window which would most likely cause troubles. I'm also not aware of any method to pass in credential information to mstsc.exe. As far as I know, it's not possible.

Unfortunately there's no way to make Remote Apps work with the Windows RDP ActiveX control from Microsoft which ships with Windows. We use this ActiveX control in our application but it doesn't support Remote Apps.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Regards,
Stefan

Thanks Stefan, I appreciate the response.  I figured that the case, but wanted to make sure.  I saw nothing with mstsc.exe looking at the command line switches to pass credentials. 

I'm not advocating these methods (it won't work for my scenario and I haven't tested), but I'm leaving this info in case it might help someone else later.  There might be two possible workarounds for the credentials:

1. Embed the credentials into the RDP file.  The password must be encrypted first. More info: https://superuser.com/questions/139665/how-to-save-rdp-credentials-into-a-file

2. Save the credentials using CMDKEY, then reference that when launching the RDP file.  Someone wrote a PS script to make this a little easier: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Connect-Mstsc-Open-RDP-2064b10b

With option #2, it's pretty messy, but it might be possible to save the credentials with a script executing prior to the connection in Royal TS, then another script on disconnect to clean up and delete them. It's a hack at best in my opinion and a lot of effort to save a minimal amount of work (just entering in the credentials when prompted). 

Regards, 

Wayne

Interesting find, Wayne. Maybe someone adventurous enough will make use of those ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Login or Signup to post a comment