Start a new topic

Accessing Azure using Royal TS

I recently was given access to a client site using an Azure connection.  To access the connection I launch the Remote Desktop app, which presents me (after login) with the list of desktops (one at present).  It is using an RDP type interface, but I cannot find the configuration elements to create a connection in Royal TS.   Any help? ler

Hi,

can you provide more details about the resource you are trying to connect to in Azure? Is this a server you connect to or are these remote apps? Are you downloading an .RDP file which is then opened by mstsc.exe?

Regards,
Stefan

It is a client's Azure  RDP desktop.  We access it using the new Windows Remote Desktop Client (Version 1.2.045.0).  I was trying to find the "access details" in the WRDC folders.  

I'm sorry, I still don't know how and where to you actually want to connect. Azure is a vast collection of different services and some have special ways to access them. Can you post some screenshots? If there's an .rdp file download, please also post the content of that .rdp file. If this information is sensitive, strip out/cover all sensitive information and/or feel free to open a support ticket to keep them private between us.

Thanks,

Stefan

Here is a series of screenshots. 

4-Desktop.jpg
(33.1 KB)
3-loading.jpg
(64.5 KB)
2-Window.jpg
(14.9 KB)
1-Launch.jpg
(11.7 KB)

Hi Larry,

I'm wondering what app the "Remote Desktop" app you start is actually (screenshot 1) and in screenshot 2 you select a predefined "connection". Is that a connection which can be exported as .rdp file? I honestly have no idea what that is. It's obviously not mstsc.exe and I'm not sure if the connection you start here can be configured in Royal TS at all. We are using the Microsoft RDP ActiveX which ships with Windows and it only provides a subset of all RDP functionality. There's a chance that we cannot really connect to that resource this way.

Regards,
Stefan

Thanks for your help/interest.  I'll just stick to the existing interface. If I ever discover the secret - I'll come back and post. 

ler

Not to bring up a stale topic, but that is the newer Win10 Remote Desktop App. It still is beta-ish(kinda unstable depending on your setup), and includes similar technology that was introduced with Win7 and the "WindowsXP Mode."  It combines the RDP functionality and the hosted app functionality you can find with Hyper-V (and some VMWare stuff, and Citrix, etc).  

Based on the screen shot, this looks like it is using the RDP connection portion. Here is a blank canvas.  It is only available through the Windows Store (but, you don't need to log into the store to install it). When you get used to it, I find it kinda slick but limited.  There doesn't seem to be an ability(for a standard user) to export a configuration file like you can with mstsc.exe (.rdp) but this app can open them if I recall. 

From my understanding, Win10 "Remote Desktop" is the intended replacement for the deprecated "RDCMan"

I wrote a script that will use the PowerShell Module for Royal TS and the Azure AZ module to create a royal TS file.  Critical piece here is that you can not have the Azure RM and AZ module installed at the same time.  If you are using AzureRM module you can swap out some of the AZ commands for AzureRM commands and they should work. 

The script authenticates you to azure and then prompts you with a list of resource groups to gather the VM information from.  Once selected it will create a royal TS file.  You will need to add the credentials after the fact.

ps1

Steve Kadlec, wouldn't you have this script working for macos?

Login or Signup to post a comment