Start a new topic

Remote Desktop DPI Scaling: RoyalTS vs Windows

I've noticed recently that if I connect to a anything using Remote Desktop in Windows using MSTSC the scaling seems to be correct but when I connect using RoyalTS everything is enlarged. This has caused me some issues when using software in Remote Desktop connections in RoyalTS because everything is so large it's hard to see everything as intended leading to more scroll bars, etc...

Windows:

RoyalTS:

I think I just found a regression in our code. Let me do some more tests. I will get back to you if I have a build to test for you. Maybe I just found the bug...

Sounds good, appreciate the quick responses.

I'm afraid I have bad news. Did some testing and checked the (very thin) docs available. As far as I can tell, the code is correct. So maybe Microsoft did (intentionally or unintentionally) change the behavior on the ActiveX control - at least for the initial zoom. What happens if you click on the Zoom Out button on the Actions ribbon tab once the connection has been established. The statusbar should show 100% zoom level. Is the scaling correct after clicking zoom out / 100%?

No worries I'm trying to get adjusted to 100% DPI in the meantime. Will look into that zoom level and get back to you. 

I can join to your conversation. Testing last portable Royal TS and mention that on 2016 server everything is biger. Zoom out button works - it makes all convenient size againg.

I'm using windows 10 x64 (1909) + 5.2.60420 APP.

On other side it's 2016 STD (1607).

What can we do to make all convenient size againg in RDP sessions ?

P.S. i have fullhd resolution with 125% scaling set up via advanced scaling settings (otherwise most apps looks blurry).

Would a customizable initial zoom level be helpful for those cases? I'm thinking about putting that on the list for V6...

I am not so sure what is better way to fix it. There are too many variables here, and i'm not sure i understand the whole case. Maybe automate of pressing "zoom out" is the exit ?

For now i add zoom out at the quick access toolbar and press is everytime.

I moved from 5.0.61707 and there was no such problem, why it exist at the last build ?

When you press "Zoom Out" you see the zoom level in the status bar. The idea is to provide a setting where you set the zoom level so it is automatically applied (like pressing the zoom out button).

i see that i was connected, no zoom level at the status bar.

If it's same 125% sacilng at RDP session can we ignore this setting let it be always 100%? Always once zoomed out ?

And i didn't get answer on second question - I moved from 5.0.61707 and there was no such problem, why it exist at the last build ?

To answer the other question: in the past releases we didn't properly scale the session dimensions when the app was DPI aware. Since more and more users are using high DPI displays, we've seen more and more support requests in this area to fix the issue. It seems that the now "correct" behavior seems to bother users who got used to the way it was before. That's why we are considering a "initial scale factor" setting so that users can set it to whatever they prefer.

1 person likes this

Initial on every RDP connection ? Or initial at global application settings ? Second variant is preferable i think.

I was thinking about a setting on a per connection basis (similar to the zoom level of a web page using chromium). To apply it on all connections, you could use bulk-edit and set the default settings accordingly - which would be a one time task. When I implement a global setting, I bet it wont take long until the first users are complaining about that and want a per connection setting ;)

What about both ways ?

Bulk editing is a hard work when you have many folders if i am right.

P.S. It seems zoom doesn't work in hyper-v oses

i have acronis backup opened and cmd

i see how the size of cmd windows changes but count of strings and font size in acronis window doesn't changes no matter how many times i press zoom +, acronis is bigger than i'd like to see it.

You can easily bulk-edit all rdp connections even from different folders. you simply enable the option to show all objects from the subfolders in the dashboard and sort/filter by remote desktop connection type. you can then simply select all your connections in the doc.

As far as I know, zoom only works if the remote OS implements the necessary APIs. Not all Windows versions support DPI zoom. So the issue with Hyper-V is that you are essentially connect to a "virtual console" session which isn't aware of any OS beneath. I'm afraid there's nothing on our side we can do to make that work. MS needs to implement "zoom" support when connecting to a hyper-V host's console session.

DPI awareness has it's limitation because MS didn't really implemented it fully. See also: https://support.royalapps.com/support/solutions/articles/17000027792-run-royal-ts-on-high-dpi-displays

If DPI awareness limitations are a showstopper for you, I recommend to uncheck "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". In this mode, the OS fakes a 96DPI system for the window and scales the window as it were a non high DPI process. The result is blurry icons but the sessions should be scaled correctly in any situation.

I see, and at what version of royal TS the behavior of DPI work changed ? I may try the previous, because the blurry items is not the way i want to use.

Login or Signup to post a comment