Start a new topic

Remote Desktop DPI Scaling: RoyalTS vs Windows

I've noticed recently that if I connect to a anything using Remote Desktop in Windows using MSTSC the scaling seems to be correct but when I connect using RoyalTS everything is enlarged. This has caused me some issues when using software in Remote Desktop connections in RoyalTS because everything is so large it's hard to see everything as intended leading to more scroll bars, etc...

Windows:

RoyalTS:

I think I just found a regression in our code. Let me do some more tests. I will get back to you if I have a build to test for you. Maybe I just found the bug...

Sounds good, appreciate the quick responses.

The initial scale factor feature is still on our roadmap for V6.

Regards,
Stefan

I'm afraid I have bad news. Did some testing and checked the (very thin) docs available. As far as I can tell, the code is correct. So maybe Microsoft did (intentionally or unintentionally) change the behavior on the ActiveX control - at least for the initial zoom. What happens if you click on the Zoom Out button on the Actions ribbon tab once the connection has been established. The statusbar should show 100% zoom level. Is the scaling correct after clicking zoom out / 100%?

"That's why we are considering a "initial scale factor" setting so that users can set it to whatever they prefer."

Thanks for keeping this thread alive and this would be great just like the webpage zoom factor!

For now I've just been using my laptop at 100% DPI so scaling is normal in RDP sessions, it's a little harder on the eyes but makes work so much easier.

No worries I'm trying to get adjusted to 100% DPI in the meantime. Will look into that zoom level and get back to you. 

Whoops meant to post this in the problem forum not this one!

Hi,

a couple of questions:

1. what is your DPI setting on Windows?

2. Did you change the DPI scaling behavior on RoyalTS.exe via the file explorer property page?

3. How did you configure Royal TS' DPI scaling behavior in User Interface Options (via View ribbon tab)?

Lastly, when you enable Debug logging (in View -> Options -> Logging), you should also see a log entry when the zoom level is set.

Regards,
Stefan

One more thing: can you also check out the latest internal build:

https://download.royalapplications.com/RoyalTS/RoyalTSInstaller_5.02.60216.0.msi

1) 115% (Custom) @ 1920x1080

2) See below have tried checking and unchecking "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" but makes no difference.

3) Everything is unchecked.

What's interesting is that it seems to change depending on the Operating System I'm connected to...

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Standard

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standardimage

Thanks for all the information.

Unfortunately I don't know the XPExplorer app and what they are exactly doing differently but regardless of how you set your DPI settings, when you configure Royal TS to be DPI aware, all pixel based measurements should be scaled according to what the system APIs deliver back to our application. When our application detects that it runs on a 200% system, all pixel measurements are multiplied by 2. For the remote session, we do not have much control over scaling. All we can do is "forward" the scaling factor to the remote session and let the RDP ActiveX control (which ships with Windows) decide what to do.

As mentioned in this KB https://support.royalapps.com/support/solutions/articles/17000027792-run-royal-ts-on-high-dpi-displays

not all OS versions can handle this. If you have older systems and need compatibility in the remote session, we can only recommend to clear the "Disable display scaling" setting in the View -> Options -> User Interface and restart Royal TS. Your icons may get blurry but the remote session should now be scaled correctly by the OS.

Regards,

Stefan

I can join to your conversation. Testing last portable Royal TS and mention that on 2016 server everything is biger. Zoom out button works - it makes all convenient size againg.

I'm using windows 10 x64 (1909) + 5.2.60420 APP.

On other side it's 2016 STD (1607).

What can we do to make all convenient size againg in RDP sessions ?

P.S. i have fullhd resolution with 125% scaling set up via advanced scaling settings (otherwise most apps looks blurry).

Would a customizable initial zoom level be helpful for those cases? I'm thinking about putting that on the list for V6...

Login or Signup to post a comment