Start a new topic

Remote Desktop DPI Scaling: RoyalTS vs Windows

I've noticed recently that if I connect to a anything using Remote Desktop in Windows using MSTSC the scaling seems to be correct but when I connect using RoyalTS everything is enlarged. This has caused me some issues when using software in Remote Desktop connections in RoyalTS because everything is so large it's hard to see everything as intended leading to more scroll bars, etc...

Windows:

RoyalTS:

Whoops meant to post this in the problem forum not this one!

Hi,

a couple of questions:

1. what is your DPI setting on Windows?

2. Did you change the DPI scaling behavior on RoyalTS.exe via the file explorer property page?

3. How did you configure Royal TS' DPI scaling behavior in User Interface Options (via View ribbon tab)?

Lastly, when you enable Debug logging (in View -> Options -> Logging), you should also see a log entry when the zoom level is set.

Regards,
Stefan

One more thing: can you also check out the latest internal build:

https://download.royalapplications.com/RoyalTS/RoyalTSInstaller_5.02.60216.0.msi

1) 115% (Custom) @ 1920x1080

2) See below have tried checking and unchecking "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" but makes no difference.

3) Everything is unchecked.

What's interesting is that it seems to change depending on the Operating System I'm connected to...

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Standard

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standardimage

Thanks for all the information.

Unfortunately I don't know the XPExplorer app and what they are exactly doing differently but regardless of how you set your DPI settings, when you configure Royal TS to be DPI aware, all pixel based measurements should be scaled according to what the system APIs deliver back to our application. When our application detects that it runs on a 200% system, all pixel measurements are multiplied by 2. For the remote session, we do not have much control over scaling. All we can do is "forward" the scaling factor to the remote session and let the RDP ActiveX control (which ships with Windows) decide what to do.

As mentioned in this KB https://support.royalapps.com/support/solutions/articles/17000027792-run-royal-ts-on-high-dpi-displays

not all OS versions can handle this. If you have older systems and need compatibility in the remote session, we can only recommend to clear the "Disable display scaling" setting in the View -> Options -> User Interface and restart Royal TS. Your icons may get blurry but the remote session should now be scaled correctly by the OS.

Regards,

Stefan

Yeah the issue must be with the RDP ActiveX control, perhaps something has changed with it rather recently.

I've since removed XPExplorer scaling and tried Windows 10 custom scaling at 115% but the issue persists no matter what options are set with RoyalTS or RoyalTS.exe file properties. When using MSTSC to RDP the issue doesn't exist.

Perhaps I'll just have to run at 100% DPI for now on my laptop until the RDP ActiveX control issue is fixed.

MSTSC @1440x900

RoyalTS @1440x900 (DPI seems fairly high as you can see there's scroll bars added)

RoyalTS @Auto Expand/Full Screen

I can see you specified a custom desktop size: 1440 x 900. Since your DPI scaling is 115% the resulting resolution will be 1656 x 1035

Can you try to calc the value before scaling: 1252 x 782

Sure thing let me turn scaling back to 115%

Btw, if you switch scaling in Windows, always make sure you at least log out and re-login. WinForms based apps like Royal TS don't like messing with DPI scaling during a session ;)

Here's the result:

RoyalTS @1252x782

Yup! I always sign out/log off in Windows when changing the DPI scaling.

So is this the desired size?

Unfortunately no, everything is still abnormally enlarged within the RDP session in RoyalTS making navigation/reading incredibly difficult (lot's of scroll bars) if you compare is to the MSTSC screenshot @1440x900.

For the time being I'm going to go back to 100% DPI in Windows.

RoyalTS @1252x782

MSTSC @1440x900

Login or Signup to post a comment