Start a new topic

Be able to execute commands (such as ping) from the gateway, not just directly from the client

Hello,

We noticed that it's possible to execute commands (such as ping) on an object (such as a server) only from the client directly, and not from the royal server.

The problem is that the servers are not in our physical site, but at the customer's site. This means that pinging (for example) has to be done from the royal server, not the client, same for the other commands.

Is it possible to implement it in a future update or not please ?

Best regards,
IDEZ Ugo

1 Comment

Hi and thanks for the feedback!

I'm afraid this is not trivial to do. The command tasks are executing commands always locally. The command may display their own GUI or in case of ping, it will show a console and displays the output immediately.

Executing arbitrary commands on a secure gateway is more tricky. We do have a PowerShell connection (https://docs.royalapps.com/r2023/royalts/reference/connections/powershell.html) which allows you to execute a script on the Royal Server and aggregate results and push them back to the client. It's different like command tasks as there's not an "interactive/live" feedback, like the console output. I think that makes it not really practical for a scenario like ping.

An alternative would be to use a terminal connection to a box "behind" the royal server or connect to the Royal Server PowerShell using SSH (assuming it has been configured to allow ssh based connections) and execute a SSH shell command for the ping there. You would get interactive/live feedback as if you would start the console remotely.

I can't think of a better way for a scenario like this.

Regards,
Stefan

Login or Signup to post a comment