Start a new topic
Answered

WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux)

What is the proper way to run local WSL sessions in RoyalTS. I just bought a Windows/MacOS bundle and I'm very happy so far. But it seemed silly to use the native terminal for my local Ubuntu shell where I do all my local command-line work.  I found nothing in the different connections I could add, but.. maybe I found my answer:

I tried creating an external app, with "wsl" as the program.  That didn't work; likely not in the path of RoyalTS.  But I hit the "Window Picker" and selected a running Ubuntu terminal.  Works great!  

Is there a "proper way" I should be doing this?  So far, seems fine.

Best Answer

My issue is resolved. So far, I like it more than a separate WSL terminal, because the equivalent is now in a RoyalTS tab. The native terminal isn't as nice as the putty terminal, nor can I customize it in RoyalTS. But this is fairly good.  I also used this to embed ConsoleZ as well (my local terminal for cmd.exe).  Very nice. All my shells, for all OS, wrapped up in one nice place.

Fyi,  

C:\Windows\System32\wsl.exe

works fine too, but it didn't inherit the colors I was using when I did  

cmd.exe /c wsl

But I was able to launch it in an external window, change colors, and relaunch had my background color.

Hi Paul,

I'm afraid at the moment you can only integrate WSL using the external app connection as you already did. We are looking for better ways to integrate local terminals but there are no easy options at the moment. From what I read, you have resolved your issues and successfully integrated WSL using external apps, right? If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Stefan

Answer

My issue is resolved. So far, I like it more than a separate WSL terminal, because the equivalent is now in a RoyalTS tab. The native terminal isn't as nice as the putty terminal, nor can I customize it in RoyalTS. But this is fairly good.  I also used this to embed ConsoleZ as well (my local terminal for cmd.exe).  Very nice. All my shells, for all OS, wrapped up in one nice place.

Glad to hear all is working well for you. I'm sure other users find this also interesting.

Have a great weekend!

cheers,

Stefan

Hey Paul, circling back around to see what you configured to embed this into Royal TS? I am looking to do the same with WSL2

Hi, Josh.  RoyalTS remains one of my favorite apps. I use it every day, most of the day.
So I do like my customizations and the look/feel of bash. :)

As it turns out, I've reverted to using the embedded Rebex terminal over PuTTY, to eliminate some quirky behavior, and I now use ssh to my local system.  To get that working, I had to automate WSL Ubuntu's start-up of the ssh daemon, and configure a non-standard port for security (not port 22).  But I'm the happiest running the app's native terminal now.  I've used a couple different web pages to guide me on that (again when I upgraded my local Ubuntu to v22.04).  Not sure if I saved the URLs.

Login or Signup to post a comment