Start a new topic
Answered

How to resolve RDP resolution issues in Windows 7 with high resolution screen

Hoping this might help another struggling sole. 

Onboarding new high resolution Thinkpads with native screen resolution of 1920x1080.  Decision was to rollback to Win 7 for easier system-wide maintenance.  Unfortunately, our Remote Desktop application runs on Win Server 2008R2 at fixed 1600x900 and not DPI aware.  RoyalTS worked flawlessly on Win 10 client but would not scale on the Thinkpad.

Finally, was able to debug the problem with screen resolution on the new Carbon Thinkpad. Ultimately, the RoyalTS did perform as it was supposed to but had important prerequisites. The first issue was recognizing that we had Windows 7 rather than Windows 10. Windows 7 did not ship with the correct scaling pieces: requires updates to scale correctly.

Requires Remote Desktop 8.1 protocol which is an update for Windows 7 though comes on Windows 8.1 and above.

1. Install Windows 7 SP1 with all updates.
  2. Verify Remote Desktop ver. 8.1. See attached image. 

3. Set windows client DPI appropriately. VERY important to NOT accept "Windows XP style scaling" which can be the default. See attached image.

4. Royal TS > File > Options > User Interface >User Interface > uncheck "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

That gave us the desired result as far as scaling on the Carbon Thinkpad. The Thinkpad is operating at resolution of 1920x1080 though Nextgen RDS client window is running in server's default 1600x900.

Hope this helps others with this issue.

Best Answer

Thanks for the detailed description, Scott. I really appreciate it. I've moved it to the Questions forum because the Ideas forum is primarily used for feature requests.

Regards,
Stefan

Answer

Thanks for the detailed description, Scott. I really appreciate it. I've moved it to the Questions forum because the Ideas forum is primarily used for feature requests.

Regards,
Stefan

Thank you for the wonderful information explaining in detail RDP resolution issues in Windows 7 with high resolution. Generally,because we were not able to figure out resolving this issue, we were connecting remotely using 3rd party applications like logmein, R-HUB remote support servers etc. But now as we have got the resolution as mentioned above, will be using Windows Remote Desktop.

Login or Signup to post a comment