Start a new topic
Implemented

Live Edit Over SFTP

I love the new Connect with SCP/SFTP options. However...

Once connected, I would like to be able to open/edit a file without first having to manually download it. If I make changes/save the opened document, I want the changes to be pushed back to the remote host.

8 people like this idea

@Christos: That's definitely planned for a future update.

1 person likes this

@Christos: We've just released version 1.1.2.7 of the file transfer plugin which now stores temporary files within subdirectories to prevent that kind of issue.

Please let me know if it works for you!

1 person likes this

@Christos:

Specifying a program to open a certain file type with: It's not possible to control this via Royal TSX. To make sure a certain file type is opened with a specific program, change your association in Finder.

Regarding the upload notification: We will look into this.

Regarding temp files: when opening (double clicking) a remote file, it first is downloaded to a temp directory provided by the system. The API we're using to get the temp directory is NSTemporaryDirectory. After that, we open the file using a system call which opens the file using the default program for the file type.

1 person likes this

Hi Felix,

Thanks for that quick one. One works perfectly.

I have also another topic related. While double-click works to edit it, some files are simply not opened for edit. I do just simply the same "double-click" and some opens and some not. I wonder if that depends on something like the file extension, but I've checked and not.

The only thing that I notice is, that when the file that I try to double-click for edit, has an empty logo/icon it doesn't work.

For example, if the icon on the left of the filename, is an empty and white one, it doesn't open the file at all.

I've tried to refresh the remote folder, close and open again the tool, but nothing.

Thanks for help.

Regards,

Iván

with this feature will be one of the best tools out there... very useful and much more for the mac users, where there is not winscp or something similar to do this job

Hi Iván,

when you double click a file for editing, we download it and then simply ask the OS to open it in whatever application is configured to open the file type. For files without an extension, there's no default application to configured on macOS. To open such files, you will have to modify your default file/application mappings in macOS. For instance, download such a file with Royal TSX, then open the inspector in Finder and change the associated application and click "Change all...".

In the next major release we will add support for choosing the application to open files with.

cheers,

felix

Agree

From what I gather this is a feature coming to the Windows side as well in the near future? The live Drag-and-Drop/Explore via SFTP on MobaXterm(Windows) works wonderful. Please implement something like this in the future. Picture attached as an example.

The next V5 beta will also have the "Open with..." command available in the file transfer connection.

Regards,
Stefan

Hi Luminous,

I'm not sure I understand. Are you referring to the live edit feature? If so, this is already implemented. I also don't understand what your screenshot should show. A bit more information would be helpful.

Thank you,

Stefan

Thanks Stefan! That is a needed feature. Might I ask for a free license for my feedback? *blinking my baby eyes* :P

Hi Daniele,

I'm sorry but we can't give away free licenses for feedback. If we do, we will soon end up giving away free licenses because everyone is providing feedback and we will be out of business very quickly...

cheers,
Stefan

Stefan,

I apologize, you are correct. This must have a been a new feature that I just didn't recognize. I know when I first started using Royal this feature wasn't there. This is great to see. A couple of suggestions that would be cool, maybe I can already do this but I just don't know. The suggestions have to do with the picture. When you connect to an SSH session in MobaXterm it automatically opens/(connects) up the sftp tab on a side window like shown. Any way for it to open automatically with the session instead of clicking File Transfter > Connect with SFTP? Also MobaXterm supports drag and drop from the Desktop to the SFTP window. It seems as though Royal TS is locked down to having to use the supplied window to the left, and I couldn't drag and drop. Again, small thing, but would be nice to have as well.

Hello again, one small thing which should be maybe usefull, to move one file from the sftp list , inside to one folder with drag and drop. 

thnx for the great work

Stefan,

I remember now why I couldn't do this the way I'm use to it. Will post it as a new idea which I never did.

Login or Signup to post a comment