Start a new topic
Implemented

RDP connect until success

I want to connect to a RDP connection until it is successful (e.g. server restart). There is currently no way to do this (support says). So I want to do a feature request for a future version of RoyalTS.

Thanks

Matthias

3 people like this idea

Hi,

thank you for the feedback and the feature request. This feature is already on our todo list but we cannot really tell when it will be available. As trivial this may seem, it's quite some work to make this a robust feature. But while we are here already, maybe you can help me to find the best way to implement that in Royal TS. Right now we are planning the following:

• Connect: when a connection attempt fails, a message box is shown and allows the user to tell Royal TS that it should quietly continue to connect in the background until the connection is up and running or until the user manually closes the tab.
  • Remote disconnect: when a connection is remotely disconnected, you can already configure Royal TS to keep the tab open. If that's the case, we can let Royal TS try to reconnect in the background until the connection is up again.
Would the above reflect the desired behavior?

Regards,
Stefan

2 people like this
Well, this is the combination which requires a lot of work and I guess in most cases a general setting will suffice. I will try to get a plugin setting into the next V5 beta release and see how it goes from there...

1 person likes this

Any input from RoyalTS team?

Hi Stefan,

The ideas sounds great to me. :)

Thanks & regards

Matthias

Stefan,

Here's the scenario that I typically face this problem in. 

I'm rebooting a machine and the connection is closed to the remote (windows server) PC. That's fine. However, now I'd like to have the option to "connect when the machine comes back online." I'm assuming this is done by continuous ping and that once the machine responds, an attempt is made to then RDP back in.

Either of your two scenarios works as well. I'd say, take a look at Devolutions RDM to see their implementation. Its simple and stays in the background. Its integrated with their command tasks. A small window pops up and shows a few lines about the host being online (tested by constant ping) and if it can remote in. You can see a spinning/loading icon where it is attempting to connect.

Hope this helps!

+1 on this feature, is there any ETA?

Thanks for your vote, Raffaele. There's still no ETA but we hope to have that in V5...

Regards,
Stefan

I would like to request this feature as well.
I am often doing server maint that requires a reboot. If RTS could automatically reconnect that would be great. I already have RTS configured to keep the tab open when closing a connection, if there was a checkbox on the disconnected tab to auto reconnect when accessible again that would be awesome.

I wouldn't want every VM to auto reconnect all the time though. If I log off because I am done with a VM for the time being I don't want it to just pop back up indefinitely until I close the tab (I try to log out of servers rather than leave disconnected sessions on servers).

Thank you for the additional information, Jarel. This is very helpful!

When i try to connect to the server which is offline now there is no reconnect function ? Why? This could be the same timeout checkbox, let the royal ts try again and again until success?

Hi,

it is correct. The auto reconnect as of today needs at least one successful connection before this feature kicks in. This feature is intended to automatically reconnect in case it gets remotely disconnected. Having the auto reconnect enabled from the beginning is problematic because in case you have typo in the host name or so, you may not really know if you have a typo or if the host is down.

Regards,

Stefan

What the difference if this a typo o host is down ? This is unsuccessful connection in both cases))

But if you are sure, if the connection is not new - this function could be helpfull

The difference, especially for new and unexperienced users is the following:

Imagine you setup a connection with a wrong host name. Then you connect to it and you immediately get the auto reconnect screen as the host is not available because you entered the wrong one. The user may wait for a while until he investigates and possibly wastes a lot of time until he realizes that there's the wrong host configured. The user can easily get frustrated as the auto reconnect screen may imply that the host is just down and might be up soon.

If you want to have this also for the initial connection, I kindly ask you to file a new feature request to see how many users really want/need to have that. Then we can look into it and see how we can make this clear from a UX perspective that the frustration mentioned above can be avoided.

Regards,
Stefan

If this is a new connection no matter what error you get. It;s a sign to recheck the settings))

I think so, will fill the request.

Thanks for the feature request.

Login or Signup to post a comment