Start a new topic

Start a Connection after a Connection

Hi,

I was looking into using manual SSH Tunnels as stated here: https://docs.royalapps.com/r2021/royalts/reference/connections/terminal-putty.html#-tunnels

I'd love to have an option to run invoke a Connection after making a Connection, not just a Task. For instance I made a "SSH Tunnel to RDP Server" Connection, which makes a local SSH Tunnel, then a Connection "RDP Server" which connects to the previous Tunnel.

If a "run Connection after" would be possible, I would be able to make this flow a bit easier.

Hi,

using secure gateways will completely automate this kind of tunneling for you already:

https://www.royalapps.com/blog/new-feature-secure-gateway-ssh-tunnels

Is there a reason to not use secure gateways?

Regards,
Stefan

Hello,

well, so far I understand this would necessate to buy (and run/operate) another separate product (Royal Server) just for the functionality that in theory could be scripted already inside RoyalTS(X). I imagine this being something for Enterprise use or with many different people, but running a Server on the personal PC to just gateway a connection is a bit overkill IMHO.

Maybe I don't assume the use-case for the Server or it wouldn't even be needed in this particular case?

Best regards

Not really. While we do have Royal Server, which can act as a secure gateway, you can run any SSH server (linux/oss) which is capable of tunneling and use it with the secure gateway functionality in Royal TS. Simply configure the secure gateway object similar to what you would do in PuTTY.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Stefan

Hello,

oh, I'm an idiot - you're right. I just tried it out, the Royal Server mentioning in the Docs confused me.

For anyone else - you create a Secure Gateway object in RoyalTS which the target is a remote SSH server you want to use for tunneling purposes, set credentials, FQDN/IP and port then save it.

Then make a Connection object inside that network, set the credentials, FQDN/IP, port as used internally, then just go under Secure Gateway in the Properties of this Connection and set it to "Always" use the above created "Secure Gateway" object.

Is there an upstream limitation that no key auth is possible for the Secure Gateway object?

Thanks for the quick responses!

Best regards

To use key file auth, you need to first create a credential with the correct configuration and assign that credential to the secure gateway.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Stefan 

Hello,

oh right, thanks for the explanation, now I understand the logic behind it and how to optimize the way I configure my Connections.

Thanks for all the help!

Best regards

You're welcome! Glad I could help. Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions or issues.

cheers,
Stefan

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment