Start a new topic

Better layout management for high res displays

As per support email:

"I run 4k monitors, and so I like to take advantage of the View > Layout functionality, but the way it actually behaves makes it almost unusable.

Rather than having to specifically open 4 connections (no more and no less) before selecting “2 row & 2 columns”, would it not be possible to select that layout and then move the connections around within that structure?
Currently if I happen to have 5 windows open, you get an error that “The number of open connections and the number of cells in the layout is different” and then it just makes a mess.
Also, if I happen to have a 4-connection layout open and accidentally close too many connections, the whole layout changes to adjust to the new number of connections (thereby making a mess again)."

"We are using a 3rd party UI framework which provides some ways to tweak the docking framework. Creating the groups upfront doesn't seem to be possible. What I can imagine is a dialog upfront (in case the number of connections doesn't match the rows * cols) where you can select which connections should be used for the layout and the rest will just stay in the first group or moved to a dedicated external group."

This seems like a decent solution until something more permanent can be set up.

2 people like this idea
1 Comment

Hi,

I like Royal TS a lot and its helping me it every day. It's really helping us having hundreds of items in the document already.

But I must admit I find the "View / Layout" function quite useless in its current form. I'd like to have the ability to predefine, let's call them "panes", where connections can be opened in. Those panes would always be visbile, even if there's no connection in it.

New connections would open in the next pane automatically (round robin), or in a predefined pane (new option in connection setting). One way to open a connection in a specific pane might be dragging it from the TreeView into a pane: voilà, connection's opening.

I'd also like to be able to move connections between panes, which isn't possible right now.

I'm working on a laptop (1920x1200 res) which is occasionaly hooked up to a 4K display. I'd like to have different setups for each resolution, e.g. 1 pane @ Full HD an 4 panes (quadrants) in 4K.

Login or Signup to post a comment