Start a new topic

[TERMINAL] implement "expect" function in key sequence tasks

It would be great to have an "expect" function on key sequence tasks instead of having to put "wait times" (which are unaccurate), to make the task proceed only if a certain pattern match (we should have the ability to put multiple expect in a single key task). SecureCRT already has this option and it's very useful.

I'm not sure how SecureCRT is working and can be configured. The rebex component we are using in our product is capable of scripting automation and I'm happy to explore some new features in that area. If you can share some more details how other products are handling that or even better how you would like to have this feature implemented, that would be awesome!

It will probably not be available through key sequence tasks though - as this is more generic. It would be something you have to configure on the terminal connection (based on rebex) itself and it wouldn't really work with PuTTY...

Regards,
Stefan

"Expect" function is something I could really use also. Basically it's just a function that waits for a string to appear in the terminal session .  A simple example, using a cisco switch would be to 'expect' or wait for the prompt character ">" then send 'EN{Enter}' then 'expect' (or wait for) the terminal session to return 'Password:' before sending $EffectivePassword$

In SecureCRT a vbscript can be executed right after connecting using 'crt.Screen.WaitForString' and 'crt.Screen.Send'

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes it's exactly as Mark is saying! I't much better than using a key sequence task with wait time, because if the server/appliance delay in responding, the sequence task will mess everything.

Here attached a screenshot of this funcion on securecrt.

Has it been two years all ready?  Any documentation on scripting the REBEX terminal from within Royal/TS?  I'm back at looking to move all my SSH connections from SecureCRT to Royal/TS.

1 person likes this

Still waiting for this essential feature...

Meanwhile I implemented RoyalTS with Royal Server in my company (100+ users with 10+ different shared documents) and we all really miss this feature.

Login or Signup to post a comment