Start a new topic

Support Port Forwarding of External Applications to Secure Gateway

For the Secure Gateway, could you please add support for creating tunnels running on user-specified ports, so we can enable tunnel to the secure gateway from an external application?

For example, I have a MySQL client that connects to a remote server on port 3306. I'd like to be able to configure a Secure Gateway to listen on 3306 and forward the traffic via an SSH tunnel to a specified remote server.

I know this can be accomplished with Putty, but I'd like it to be available as a first-class feature of the built-in Secure Gateway component, so the tunnels would show up in the Active Tunnels window, and so we don't have to create a terminal connection just to set up a tunnel.

The tunnel creation is done by Royal TS. I was referring to the command of the external application you want to start. This particular feature works only if you can pass in a computer name and a port using the command line. The idea is that you then just specify the $URI$ token and the $Port$ token in the command line and Royal TS replaces that accordingly to connect through the tunnel.

The command to create the tunnel is:

ssh -L 3306:ls-85991bce961d76720544368a68fe166bb0702903.civ41r4og66y.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com:3306 root@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

What is the command line you are using to connect. Is there a way to specify the host and port using the command line?

Hi Stefan,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how external apps work, because I can't seem to get it to connect. 

I'm connecting to an Amazon RDS database at:

ls-85991bce961d76720544368a68fe166bb0702903.civ41r4og66y.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com

This is an internal AWS URL that can only be accessed from my AWS network. Therefore, in my existing configuration, I have a Putty SSH connection to a server on my AWS network and a tunnel configured as follows:

Source Port: 3306

Destination: ls-85991bce961d76720544368a68fe166bb0702903.civ41r4og66y.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com

Protocol: Auto

My MySQL client is configured to connect to locahost on port 3306. Since Putty is listening on 3306, it accepts the connection, tunnels it to my remote server and finally forwards it to my RDS database.

How can I duplicate this configuration using an External Application?

Hi,

this is already possible. Simply configure a secure gateway on the External App connection, then go to  the Advanced page and switch to the Secure Gateway tab. There you can specify a computer name / port which you can use in the arguments on the main page.

https://content.royalapplications.com/Help/RoyalTS/V5/index.html?reference_externalapp_advanced.htm

Regards,
Stefan

Login or Signup to post a comment