Start a new topic
Answered

SSH Private Key embedded credential

Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out how to set up a Private Key.

I have multiple servers that accept my Private Key, those servers do have different login names tho.

What is the best way to set this up? The perfect setup would be to create one Credential object with an embedded Private Key, each SSH connection object is referring to that Credential object while the username is set on the SSH connection object.

I cannot accomplish the above because when I select the "Use an existing credential" on the SSH connection object the username field disappears.

When I set the username on the Credential object, I can only connect it to One SSH connection object because only one server accepts that usernam

It's kinda hard to explain but I hope it's clear enough

Best Answer

Hi Stephan,

that is a very good question! I believe the best solution in this case, would be to use "overrides". To do this, you will have to define your private key in the overrides. Then, all you need to do is define the user in the properties of the connection and leave the password blank. That way, when you connect with overrides, your private key will be used with that connection. 

Please note: by default, overrides are only applied when holding the Alt key (option/alt (⌥) on macOS) while you are connecting. To change this behavior, go to View -> Options -> Behavior -> Modifiers (Royal TSX -> Preferences -> Behavior -> Modifiers on macOS) and change how Royal TS/X should apply the overrides:

For some more information on overrides, please refer to the following link:

https://www.royalapps.com/blog/new-feature-overrides

Kind regards,

Germar

1 Comment

Answer

Hi Stephan,

that is a very good question! I believe the best solution in this case, would be to use "overrides". To do this, you will have to define your private key in the overrides. Then, all you need to do is define the user in the properties of the connection and leave the password blank. That way, when you connect with overrides, your private key will be used with that connection. 

Please note: by default, overrides are only applied when holding the Alt key (option/alt (⌥) on macOS) while you are connecting. To change this behavior, go to View -> Options -> Behavior -> Modifiers (Royal TSX -> Preferences -> Behavior -> Modifiers on macOS) and change how Royal TS/X should apply the overrides:

For some more information on overrides, please refer to the following link:

https://www.royalapps.com/blog/new-feature-overrides

Kind regards,

Germar

Login or Signup to post a comment