Start a new topic

RoyalTS Overrides and logs

Hi,

It seems that overriding logging doesn't work. 

If I'm defining the override directly on the devices it works, But if I'm using override nothing happens. 

Issue is on RoyalTS and TSX

Hi,

by default, overrides are only applied when holding the ALT key while connecting. You can change that behavior in the Options if you like. See:

https://content.royalapplications.com/Help/RoyalTS/V5/index.html?reference_options_behavior.htm

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Stefan

I know that I changed the parameter to apply it by default.

I know it's applied because I have the coloration highlight enabled by the override.

Take the time to try it on your hand you will see, It's not working

I just tried to reproduce the issue and here's what I found out:

* the override actually works (when applied). A log file will be written and can be seen using the file explorer at the location of the override log directory.

* since the log directory is configured in the override but not in the connection itself, the dashboard actually doesn't know where to look for the log files, hence you don't see them.

* overrides are only applied when connected. the dashboard shows data according to the configuration of the connection when not connected.

* if you want to see the log files in the dashboard as well, you need to configure logging on the actual connection, not the override.

I hope that explanation makes sense.

Regards,
Stefan

I understand but we can't define the log in the connection directly as it's shared with the rest of the team.

As some people are on Windows and some others are on Mac we can't define it directly on the object.

Something that you could improve in your next release ;)

Hi Cyriel,

as mentioned in my previous replies, the best way to handle this is by using overrides.

We are open for suggestions. If you have a proposal how we can make this feature better, please let us know.

Regards,
Stefan

You could check both location. 

* The logs location in the connection endpoint if available

* And the location on the overrides if applied and available

Hi Cyriel,

I see a couple of issues checking both locations:

1. there may be a scenario where both locations are available so it would still not be clear which one to use.

2. we do have plans to support multiple/different overrides in the future. Not sure if and when we will implement that but with this in mind, this solution wouldn't work as soon as multiple overrides are defined.

Regards,
Stefan

We are using overrides successfully, but we don't have the MAC / Windows issue where the path is different.  In our case each user puts their name in the Customfield1 and assigns that as an override for Putty Sessions.

But since we all use the same directory the logs appear for everyone with just a different name attached to the end.

Hello Stefan,

Could you add in the dashboard the list of log files created at the override location ?

something like : 

- If logs is defined in endpoints config - show the list of file 

- if logs is defined in Overrides - add these files to the list

Sort files by date to show the most recent one 

Right now we have to go to the location defined in the override and copy manually the file into the folder defined in the endpoint config to be able to export it or watch it.

Thanks you

Hi Cyriel,

the next beta release will show log files and recording from both paths (connection specific and override) when both paths are configured.

Regards,
Stefan

1 person likes this

Fantastic :)

Thank you 

Login or Signup to post a comment