Start a new topic

error message "Cannot read executable filename for process with id" using PuTTY plugin

Hi there,

I'm recently seeing the above mentioned error message when I'm trying to establish a connection via SSH using the PuTTY plugin. It shows different process IDs until it finally bails out after about 20 seconds and shows me with the Window Picker.

It is a fairly recent issue which has only started a couple of days ago.

Any ideas here?

1 person has this problem

I am not running putty from onedrive, but I am opening the Royal TS document from onedrive. However I would think that should have no effect. Will test opening it locally later

Hi Krikkit,

check my response here:

https://support.royalapps.com/support/discussions/topics/17000013206

A quick search with google showed that other users are also having issues running executables from OneDrive. I haven't found a solid answer or guide to enable that though. Some articles are quite old and I don't know if they still apply.

is it possible that you are starting putty out of a onedrive folder? 

I too use a Microsoft account to log on to my machine but I can't repro the issue. Any other tool/software which comes to mind?

This error comes both on a Business domain joined computer, and the one im using now, a private Win10 computer without any domain related settings. A standard login through a Microsoft account.

So there seems to be a permission problem though. Unless you start Royal TS elevated, you are not able to access process information of a child process started by Royal TS. I'm honestly not sure how this can happen on your system's. Maybe some policy? Is this a domain user logging on to a domain joined machine? Maybe you can try with a local user account?

Restarted Royal in non-elevated mode. See screenshot from task manager. Not elevated and error message is present.

Can you please check if the process started by Royal TS (when not started as admin/elevated) is elevated using the task manager:

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-check-if-a-process-is-running-as-administrator-elevated-in-windows/#:~:text=Start%20Task%20Manager%20and%20switch,Elevated%22%2C%20and%20click%20OK.

Using shipped putty. Plugin - Terminal - putty has no modifications

Nope, plain Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903 - 18362.836. No securiy software except antivirus. Same error on another computer runing Windows 10 1803 (Busines)

Hmm, it looks like that the PuTTY executable is started elevated then but I have no clue how that's even possible. Are you using the shipped PuTTY version included with Royal TS or are you using your own PuTTY from a specified path in the plugin settings?

If I start Royal with Admin rights, the error message is gone, and its way quicker to embed the connection

That's weird. Are you running a Windows Insider build? Do you have some secuity/personal firewall tool installed which may interfere?

Just updated to 5.2.60420. I see the same error here.

We actually know the PuTTY process ID and we are looking for a specific window created by that process ID. We don't pull in a window from a different/unknown process id.

Login or Signup to post a comment