Start a new topic
Answered

SSH authentication using private key stored on YubiKeys

Hi,

Friend of mine recommended me the Royal TS software and we are evaluating it (i started with Mac OS version) at our company, but I cannot find a way to authenticate to remote SSH servers using OpenPGP private key (auth subkey) stored on the Yubikey. We are using it widely for logins into critical SSH servers by following methods listed on Yubico site (for both Win and MacOS): 

https://developers.yubico.com/PGP/SSH_authentication/

Is there a way to enable sth similar ? I always get following error message which I have already seen in the terminal if the gpg-connect-agent is not running:

Load key "/Users/You/.ssh/id_rsa_yubikey.pub": invalid format

Best Answer

Hi Michal,

it depends on how you set up your Yubikey in macOS but it's very likely that enabling "Run inside Login Shell" in the "Advanced - Session" properties of your SSH connection will make it work.

Please try this first and let me know if it helps!

cheers,

felix

Answer

Hi Michal,

it depends on how you set up your Yubikey in macOS but it's very likely that enabling "Run inside Login Shell" in the "Advanced - Session" properties of your SSH connection will make it work.

Please try this first and let me know if it helps!

cheers,

felix

1 person likes this

Hi Felix,

This is cool! After I enabled 'Run inside login shell' it indeed asked me for my smartcard PIN and I was able to log into the box using the pkey from Yubikey. Thanks a lot! I hope it will work the same way under Windows.

BR, 

Michal

Perfect! Glad I could help!

If you need help getting this running on Windows please let us know in a new ticket.

thx,

felix

Login or Signup to post a comment