Start a new topic
Implemented

Availability indicator for RDP Server

I had the idea that it could be really nice to implement a features that allows to visualize if the server is ready for connections on Port 3389.

Possibly with the RDP prot. It could be used to get a feedback from a server who was recently restarted.

It could maybe work like this:

Royal recognizes that a RDP Connection was shut down, now it will check every 10-20 sec. if the RDP protocol is up, if yes = Green indicator

If the server is just running it should be enough to check every 5 – 10Min or so.

Or

Beside of the Ping another function that has to be enabled manually like the Ping that will check availability of RDP for a few minutes before stopping automatically. 

Greetings

1 person likes this idea

You could probably write a powershell script.  I would prefer this not be implemented as a default.  My security team would go bonkers if all our workstations started to scan RDP status.

If you configure Royal TS to keep remotely disconnected tabs open (https://content.royalapplications.com/Help/RoyalTS/V5/index.html?reference_options_behavior.htm), Royal TS will try to auto reconnect to RDP connections as soon as it is available again.

Checking all RDP connections for availability will not work in larger environments. Some users have thousands of connections configured in their documents. Scanning all of them would bring Royal TS and probably your workstation to their knees.

Hey

I still think this idea is useful to implement. However, not on a constant scan but on a 'request basis'.

In our old tool (mRemoteNG) when we select a server (just clicking on it) it gets the status and sees if the port is up or down and adjusts it accordingly.

Would you be able to implement a feature like this?

1 person likes this

This is actully what i ment when i wrote the post. I didnt mean to scan all connections all the time, that would probably burn our enviorment.

My Idea was to scan the Tabs only, so all Servers i activly work on.

Would that be possible?

RoyalTS.png
(64.3 KB)

I think both could be done by RoyalApps. As long as they provide the config that we can use on these properties, every company/user could change what they like itself. 

When we just click once on an asset, it would be nice to see if it is up or down.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I think implementing something in the dashboard of the currently selected connection is feasible. What @Henrik is suggesting is more tricky. While we could poll those servers on regular basis, I'm not sure how we can visualize the status. It's quite difficult to render onto those tabs. Having an item in the toolbar of the dashboard is easier but then we have an issue with VNC for example or connections which are configured to not show the dashboard.

To sum up: polling a smaller number of servers (or a single server) should be possible. The question is where and how to show the indicator in the UI so that it's consistent, non-intrusive and feasible in terms of custom rendering.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Hey Stefan

Thanks for your feedback.

Having an item on the dashboard is definitely a good way for the most convenient options (RDP, SSH, ...). When selecting the item also shows the dashboard, so you immediately can visualise it over there.

You also could make the icon a different color, e.g.: When connected to a server the icon of the host becomes green. What about if the server is down, you make it red? I never saw that red color on the icon in the past.

Also having an option to enable/disable it on host/folder level would be a definite win, certain hosts won't make sense in our setup to do that (but that is very much our 'weird' setup). Or enable it for all, also not a big issue.

To top it off: having an ability to select what kind of healthchecks have to be performed would be the best case: ping (ICMP), TCP check on destination port or a NMAP (alive) check.

This feature has been implemented in Royal TS V7 which is available for download now. This feature is disabled by default and needs to be enabled in the View -> Options -> Behavior settings.

Regards,
Stefan

Login or Signup to post a comment