Start a new topic
Solved

"Ctrl" hiddenly pressed after waking macOS with RDP active

I keep hitting this really annoying problem where the "Ctrl" key seems to be pretty down when I wake my macOS and try to continue using my RDP session in RoyalTSX. I can tell this because when I wake my session and try to click on files on my RDP Desktop it just selects the icon or item and if I just single click other things it highlights those as well. Has anybody experienced this?

Hi Royce,

this is likely the classic "stuck key" issue. Since you're connected to a remote machine, key strokes have to be transferred from your local keyboard to the remote machine. The remote machine however has no knowledge of the state of your local keyboard unless we send it an instruction that a particular key has been pressed or released.

Now, if you use a keyboard shortcut to lock your machine or put it to sleep for instance, only the pressed state of the involved keys will be sent to the remote machine. Because your Mac is locked afterwards, we don't get the chance to release the keys on the remote machine.

So it's very likely that this is the issue. The best option to work around this is to either switch to another app (or de-focus the RDP session) before invoking the lock shortcut or to use the mouse instead.

Once you run into the issue, simply pressing and releasing each modifier key inside the remote session once should work too (instead of a reconnect).

Hope that helps!

cheers,

felix

Thanks for that explanation Felix, I am using Ctrl+CMD+Q to lock my mac and that control key appears to be sticking when I do that. I guess I just have to live with that or perform the workarounds you have mentioned. thanks. 

Hi Royce,

I did some testing and came up with a solution to this problem.

Beginning with the next beta version (which will be available later today or tomorrow) we will automatically release all modifier keys when you lock your Mac or put it to sleep.

Once the beta is available, please update and let us know if it works for you.

thx,

felix

Hi Royce,

there's now a new beta available which aims to work around the problem you're experiencing.

Could you please give it a try and let me know if the issue is fixed for you?

https://www.royalapps.com/go/kb-ts-mac-downloadbeta

thx,

felix

You're Awesome! the fix appears to be working. I would like to test it out a bit more throughout my workday before giving it the all clear. Thanks Felix!

Sounds good! I'm marking this as "Solved" now. Feel free to re-open in case the issue returns.

cheers,

felix

Login or Signup to post a comment