Start a new topic
Implemented

Find command with Auto-Hiding Navigator

I'm currently using the Navigator panel set to auto-hide.

Would it be possible, when using Cmd+F to start a Search of available connections, to unhide the Navigator so I can scroll up/down using arrow keys and then connect using Cmd+Enter?

That's definitely a good suggestion which we'll consider for a future release.

Right now there's no such feature. You can however press command+0 to show the navigation panel even in autohidden mode.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I recently crossed a threshold where my number of connections became unwieldy to just scroll in a sidebar so I've been relying on Search more. And losing the real estate on a 13" screen seems wasteful when I don't need it up all the time.

Right now my open connection is:

1. Cmd+F

2. Type in Field

3. "Oh right" Cmd+0

4. Up/down arrows to pick if there are multiple returns

5. Cmd+Enter to connect.

I know this is a small thing but it's something I do many, many times a day and would make it that much smoother.

Thanks again!

The problem with automatically showing the autohidden navigation panel during search is that focus is automatically transferred to the navigation panel, effectively making it impossible to keep typing into the search field as soon as we show the popover.

Since this is system behavior (we're not transferring focus ourselves) it's not that easy to work around this and make the workflow smooth. I'm not saying it's impossible but it needs to be implemented in a way that doesn't make the experience any worse than it currently is.

That being said, you might want to consider using the "Documents" toolbar item instead when the navigation panel is autohidden. Just drag the item to your toolbar and press Cmd+Shift+D to open it. Since the first menu item in the dropdown is a search field, you can start typing away immediately and also use the arrow keys to navigate the menu. Once you found the connection you're looking for, just hit return to open it.

Hope that helps!

We just found a good solution to the mentioned problems and I'm happy to report that this feature will be included in the next beta release of Royal TSX V4.

cheers,

felix

Thanks for adding it so quickly. I saw the beta notification this morning and tried it out. It works well but I ran into a couple of usability issues:

• CMD+F conflict's with the Terminal plugin's Find feature when the active session is a Terminal connection type. I think this means I should be using the CMD+Shift+F "Find in Documents" but I'm not sure what the difference between the two Find commands are. I can also customize this in the Keyboards System Preferences so this isn't that much of an issue at all.
  • Once I've typed in a search term, I generally can use CMD+Enter to connect. Is there a way for me to change the up/down arrows from being Home/End in the search field to letting me select up/down in the Navigation popover? Right now I have to tab to the navigation popover before I can pick a server from a list if my search had multiple matches.

Thanks for taking the time to review these.

Hey Jackson,

Yes, "Find in Documents..." exists exactly for that reason. If there's another search field visible that also listens to Cmd+F you can use Cmd+Shift+F instead.

There's currently no way to make the arrow keys directly select items in the navigation panel when focus is in the search field. Would you please file a separate feature request for that?

thx,

felix

Hi there,

I'm happy to report that Royal TSX 4.0 has been released and includes this feature.

For more information about the major new features of Royal TSX 4.0, please head over to our major upgrade landing page.

cheers,

felix

Login or Signup to post a comment