Start a new topic

WebPlugin with full HTML5 support like Chrome

I can`t use Royal TSX to manage vCenter and ESX today via html5 interface. Safari webplugin is not supported by VMware because lack of full html5 compatibility. For example, tasks are not displayed, blue screen instead of login prompt in esxi.

1 person likes this idea

Disappointing to still see no Chrome support 2 years after the first post in this thread.

I can't use Royal TS on OS X to manage Proxmox because the console (which uses noVNC) doesn't work with the web browser Royal TS are using in the OS X version.

Please either implement Chrome or Safari support on OS X.

Hi Ben,

Royal TSX' WebKit plugin is essentially Safari. It uses the same engine as your locally installed Safari. The difference is basically the shell around it and that we're not using the same user agent string as Safari.

That being said, I just installed NoVNC on a CentOS 7 machine and was able to successfully integrate it into Royal TSX without any changes to the default configuration of a web page connection.

What exactly happens when you try to use NoVNC? Do you see any error messages? In any case, please open a separate support ticket as we're better able to help you than posting on a public forum.

Mailplane uses https://github.com/brave/brave-browser , it's based on Chromium, and developed pretty actively.

Hi,

we don't currently have a Chrome plugin for Royal TSX and there are no plans to change that in the near future.

Unfortunately there's no Chrome framework on macOS that we could use to integrate Chrome into Royal TSX without major effort and a huge increase in download size and performance impact for the whole app.

While it's really unfortunate that the VMware web client currently does not work properly with Safari, that's something VMware has to fix on their end.

best regards,

felix

Hi Stephan,

interesting. I'll look into it. However, I strongly suspect that the same limitations as other Chromium-based SDKs applies to brave. Probably also needs deep hooks into the main application which effectively is a no-go for our plugin architecture. Also, since it's based on Chromium the additional binary size will likely be significant. And last but not least, the example app you gave (Mailplane) is essentially a browser with an interface dedicated to displaying Google webapps so it's not really comparable to Royal TSX.

cheers,

felix

Hi again,

just looked into Mailplane's app bundle. The full app is around 200MB. The brave framework totals 156MB. So if this framework needs to be linked directly to the app (instead of a dynamically loaded plugin) that's already a no-go for Royal TSX. Currently, Royal TSX comes in at below 40MB (without plugins) and I'm not going to add almost 4 times as much just to support a new browser engine.

If the brave framework can be loaded dynamically from a plugin, it would still be possible but I have to do more fiddling before I can comment on that.

cheers,

felix

But still, manage VMware vSphere is not possible because missing "task screen in the down part of the screen". HTML5 console is not working and so on... (look at HPE iLO) In my opinion a lot fo admins work on VMware vSphere vCenter Server and HPE servers and they have to use google chrome instead of your product.

Hi Felix, I've been using Royal TSX for some time and followed all your tips and steps trying to make the HTML5 console to work for Proxmox VE without success. 

Did you tried to reproduce the issue with Proxmox VE during your tests? I saw other comments around the same issue with Proxmox but I don't find any specific solutions.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Joao

Hi Wojciech,

I'm not sure what exactly you're missing. If it's the "Recent tasks" panel at the bottom of the web interface, I can't reproduce this. It shows up just fine for me.

Maybe you have somehow disabled it in your environment?

cheers,

felix

Hi Joao,

no, we did no tests with Proxmox.

Could you please try the suggestion to troubleshoot the issue using the Safari Developer console mentioned in this KB article.

Once you gather the console logs, please open a ticket to troubleshoot the issue with us.

cheers,

Felix

But tasks are still invisible :( It is the biggest problem because it very important in daily tasks.

Hi Wojciech,

I don't quite understand what you mean by "tasks are still invisible". Could you please elaborate? A screenshot would probably also help.

thx,

felix

looks like this is related to my issue. I'm getting unsupported browser from https://anypoint.mulesoft.com/, and even with user agent is faked, the session is not saved at all.

In pure ESXi the tasks are shown correct but in vCenter not. In ESXi and vCenter console doesnt work... I have to use VMware Fusion to connect to console. In vCenter I have to use "refresh button" after every operation because the changes doesn't appear (in example when I shutdown VM, the VM icon suggest that it is ON till I refresh screen)

Login or Signup to post a comment