Start a new topic
Answered

Emulating full screen WITHOUT "Spaces"

In OSX, the only way to get full screen (with no menu or title bars) is to allow OSX's Spaces to activate. Unfortunately, in a dual screen environment this makes one screen go dark (I don't want my windows connection across both screens--I want access to the OSX desktop/other apps, with the RDC connection on the other screen)

The best I can do now to prevent Spaces, is to option-click the apple window green ball when the connection is in its own window. This is a workable solution. But, it's not ideal. I'd like to recover that 1" of real estate at the top of the screen. And, it'd also be nice to be able to open the connection in to this mode rather than having to option-click the green ball every time I connect.

Is there a plugin, workaround, application defaults write command that can be used to disable the title and window bar from the connection?

FWIW, the only reason this has become an issue is we just spooled up new windows 2016 servers that are on ports not supported by RDC 2.1 (which works beautifully otherwise). The newest version of RDC that does support the new ports unfortunately also makes use of the Spaces "feature" that turns off the screen without the RDC connection.

Best Answer

James,

to set up a RDP connection for full screen, open the "Properties" of your connection, navigate to the "Window Mode" section and change "Open connection in" to "Full Screen".

Hope that helps!

cheers,

felix

Answer

James,

to set up a RDP connection for full screen, open the "Properties" of your connection, navigate to the "Window Mode" section and change "Open connection in" to "Full Screen".

Hope that helps!

cheers,

felix

[quote]Since you mentioned RDC, I thought you were trying to set up a full screen RDP session, which is supported without tab bar. For other protocols though we don't have that feature at the moment.[/quote]

I am talking about an RDC/RDP session. I only brought up Term2 because that software offers the ability to hide the window title bar. I'm looking for a similar feature in TSRoyal.

To be clear, all I'm trying to do is get a full-screen of an RDC/RDP session that does NOT use OSX's Spaces at all. If I could disable Spaces without breaking Expose I would. But, unfortunately it's all or nothing with Apple at the moment. And, I'd rather have Expose and work around the Spaces issue to achieve a full-screen windowed mode if the window title bars and connection tabs can be removed.

Sorry for my ignorance. I have installed the RDP (based on FreeRDP) plugin, and configured the connections. I just do not see any option to open without the tab bar in windowed mode, which would be a good start. I still have the title bar, but it would save me 1/2 the wasted space.

Since you mentioned RDC, I thought you were trying to set up a full screen RDP session, which is supported without tab bar. For other protocols though we don't have that feature at the moment.

I'll have to do a screen recording to illustrate my issue. enabling 'displays have separate spaces' only complicates the issue further.

What I really need is the ability to turn off window header bars and the connection tab. I know this is programmatically possible. But, it needs to be addressed at the developer level and enabled for end users, like Term2 does.

Hi,

if you're only using single-screen full screen connections you don't need to disable "Displays have separate Spaces" in the "Mission Control" preferences. This is only required if you want to establish multi-screen full screen connections.

best regards,

felix

Login or Signup to post a comment