Start a new topic
Implemented

RDP connect until success

I want to connect to a RDP connection until it is successful (e.g. server restart). There is currently no way to do this (support says). So I want to do a feature request for a future version of RoyalTS.

Thanks

Matthias

3 people like this idea

Thanks for the feedback! Would that be a plugin level setting or a connection specific setting?

Not sure at the moment.

Thinking a Global Plugin level option and a connection specific option.

Connection specific would override plugin/global.

Well, this is the combination which requires a lot of work and I guess in most cases a general setting will suffice. I will try to get a plugin setting into the next V5 beta release and see how it goes from there...

1 person likes this

I just released the beta with the first iteration of this feature. It's much harder to implement that I thought. The automatic reconnect should happen in the background and not grab the focus of the connection once it is successful. At the moment, RDP is the only connection which supports the new auto reconnect feature and you also need to configure Royal TS to keep remotely disconnected tabs open to make it work (you can find this setting under View -> Options -> Behavior). When a connection is disconnected remotely, the tab will change to the "disconnected" state and at the very bottom you will see a checkbox (by default checked) which counts down (currently 30 seconds) and tries to reconnect every 30 seconds. You can uncheck this box to stop automatic reconnect (check it again to enable it) und you can also hit Connect at any time to manually try to connect.

The new beta can be found here:

https://www.royalapplications.com/ts/win/features-beta

Should you experience any issues, let me know.

A couple of users complained about that feature interfering with certain "disconnect" reasons. As a result I tweaked the feature in two areas:

1. if a user disconnects a session from within the session it will not be considered as a failure and the automatic reconnect checkbox will be unchecked in this case (in fact, only disconnect reasons > 3 will result in checking the option)

2. The "new" automatic reconnect feature will be turned off by default and can be enabled for all RDP connections in the plugin settings for Remote Desktop. I feel I need more feedback which disconnect reason codes should be considered to automatically enable the reconnect option and which ones are better to ignore.

The next beta with the above tweaks will be available shortly...

A couple of users complained about that feature interfering with certain "disconnect" reasons. As a result I tweaked the feature in two areas:

1. if a user disconnects a session from within the session it will not be considered as a failure and the automatic reconnect checkbox will be unchecked in this case (in fact, only disconnect reasons > 3 will result in checking the option)

2. The "new" automatic reconnect feature will be turned off by default and can be enabled for all RDP connections in the plugin settings for Remote Desktop. I feel I need more feedback which disconnect reason codes should be considered to automatically enable the reconnect option and which ones are better to ignore.

The next beta with the above tweaks will be available shortly...

I fixed the reconnect part with having a Disconnect Task which has a timeout and then reconnects with 

Command ## C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

Arguments ## "/c Timeout /T 30 && RoyalTS.exe /action:connect /donotactivate /protocol:rdp /using:uri /uri:$URI$"

Working Dir ## C:\Program Files (x86)\code4ward.net\Royal TS V4

The reconnect feature works better for me in Beta Builds before these changes.

Can u please give us an Option to enable Auto-check-reconnect also for Exit Codes < 2 

(Maybe a Checkbox in RDP Connection)

I would like the reconnect option for when I manually reboot servers.. I have version 5 of RoyalTS and have enabled the "Auto Reconnect on Disconnected Tab" option but when I manually reboot servers that check box isn't checked.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. The next release will have a plugin option to always enable autoreconnect by default for those cases. Stay tuned...

When i try to connect to the server which is offline now there is no reconnect function ? Why? This could be the same timeout checkbox, let the royal ts try again and again until success?

Hi,

it is correct. The auto reconnect as of today needs at least one successful connection before this feature kicks in. This feature is intended to automatically reconnect in case it gets remotely disconnected. Having the auto reconnect enabled from the beginning is problematic because in case you have typo in the host name or so, you may not really know if you have a typo or if the host is down.

Regards,

Stefan

What the difference if this a typo o host is down ? This is unsuccessful connection in both cases))

But if you are sure, if the connection is not new - this function could be helpfull

The difference, especially for new and unexperienced users is the following:

Imagine you setup a connection with a wrong host name. Then you connect to it and you immediately get the auto reconnect screen as the host is not available because you entered the wrong one. The user may wait for a while until he investigates and possibly wastes a lot of time until he realizes that there's the wrong host configured. The user can easily get frustrated as the auto reconnect screen may imply that the host is just down and might be up soon.

If you want to have this also for the initial connection, I kindly ask you to file a new feature request to see how many users really want/need to have that. Then we can look into it and see how we can make this clear from a UX perspective that the frustration mentioned above can be avoided.

Regards,
Stefan

If this is a new connection no matter what error you get. It;s a sign to recheck the settings))

I think so, will fill the request.

Login or Signup to post a comment